Dear socks dolls, we were wondering all these while where have you been?
Since Get Arty with Mummy Creative Craft at Gurney Plaza last month, we have been obsessing about you! This includes searching for tutorials online, buying materials, saving up every pair of socks and more.
The truth is socks dolls are great alternatives to rag dolls. They take shorter time to make, and the result is A-D-O-R-ABLE!
And it doesn't limit you to one kind of socks. You can choose to use kid socks, or even adult socks (it doesn't matter if it’s knee length). Just remember to have some decorative materials to help prep the doll up, such as felt, buttons, ribbons, or cloths leftovers.
Now, let’s get started!
|Dear readers, meet our bunny, Igloo.|
You will need:
- A pair of socks
- Polyester padding (you can get this at tailors’ or craft shops)
- A pair of scissors
- Decorative materials such as pom pom
1. Position your socks on your table this way.
2. Flip your socks inside out. Using a pen, draw along the red line.
3. Cut along the guide carefully. (This can be a little tricky. Ask a friend to help you if you have having problems with the stretchy-ness.)
4. After you have cut the parts out, sew along the dotted line. Make sure the seams are sewn closed.
5. Now, time for some stuffing! Flip the socks out carefully. Stuff some padding into both ears and then fill up the entire sock. This will be the bunny’s head.
6. Sew the ends of the socks to seam it up. Don’t worry about the shape, you can fix that later.
7. Now, we are moving on to the body. This step is optional. Our sock has thick stretch band, hence we cut it off along the red line so we can sew it better!
8. Stuff and stuff away! Ensure that you have enough padding in there to shape the body later.
9. Then, sew the ends and seam it up.
10. You should have something like this. No bunnies are harmed for the production of this post.
11. Finally, sew the head and body together and voila! You can then decorate your doll creatively.
There are many varieties of socks dolls we can do. You can even personalize the doll by sewing a monochrome initial, stuff some fragrance sachet in the doll, or even make costumes for them!
We have done a few examples here. If you would like to try making different socks doll, there are many creative tutorials on the Internet. Below are some of our favourite collections!
We hope you like this tutorial! Let us know in the comments below on what tutorial we should do next!